This is where I will document the annoyingly slow ups and downs of this journey called "weightloss"

Sunday, January 31, 2010

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer

this morning at my weight watchers meeting, the discussion was on how to tell the difference between physical and emotional hunger.
it was rather interesting.
here are a few things i pulled from the meeting:

Oliver W. Holmes once said "a moment's insight is sometimes worth a life's experience"

DONT FEED A MOOD FOOD

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS

"if hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer"

FACE YOUR STUFF NOT STUFF YOUR FACE! (my favorite of them all)

FOOD IS NOT A BAND-AID

it's much easier to keep going than to start over again

if we only ate when we were hungry, it'd be a perfect world.
a woman in the group said she did a research study of 20 thin people that have been thin their whole lives (to be so lucky!). she said that most all of them reported that food wasn't a reward for them as a child and they never eat when they aren't hungry. thats the key. think think think before you put something in your mouth. act like a thin person and you'll become one. fake it til you make it.
im not going to sit here and blame my parents or my grandparents for instilling this in my parents who passed it on to me, but i have been rewarded more than once in my life with food and im dang sure my parents were rewarded the same way. why is it we feel that food is something to celebrate with? food is supposed to be a source of energy and nourishment, not the thing we cant stop thinking about or go two hours without.

this week im going to try and focus on asking myself "am i really hungry?" and asking my food "what are you going to do for me?"
i want to be conscious of what im putting in my body and whether or not it is feeding my physical or emotional needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment